Friday, June 8, 2012

Plantstrong weekend in the Alamo City: Part 1

As a celebration to the conclusion of my sophomore year last week, I decided to pack up my bags and head off to San Antonio to visit my aunt before kicking off a summer filled with SAT classes, competitive swimming, choir camps and a trip to British Columbia and the Hawaiian Islands the following week. I had a morning flight, which meant that I still had to wake up on my school sleep schedule, but also that I would also get the most out of the day in San Antonio.


To kick off my arrival in the Alamo City, I learned to drive a stick-shift in a TINY Mazda sportscar. Being the daughter of a father who absolutely despies anything that carries a potential hazard with it, I wasn't sure what to expect at all, and quite frankly, I thought I was going to crash into someone or vice versa. I have a tendency to underestimate what I can actually accomplish, and within minutes, driving a stick seemed second-nature. However, I'm not planning on driving a manual on the freeway or any busy street for that matter. 


After my stick-shift lessons, we headed off to Green Restaurant (San Antonio's only 100% vegetarian restaurant) to enjoy lunch at my favorite veg spot in San Antonio with my cousin, Jordan, who was home from college for the weekend, his roomate, Trevor, and of course my aunt. I enjoyed their Raw Deal Wrap with a side of broccoli and fresh fruit (not pictured), while my aunt had their homemade veggie burger with a side of sweet potato fries.


After lunch, I headed back to my aunt's house with Jordan where we hung out with their dogs, Chica (a beautiful Austrailan Shepard) and Mason (a Goldendoodle puppy) until my aunt was finished up with work. This isn't the best picture of the two, but I couldn't resist taking a picture while they were messing around.


Later in the evening, my aunt and I headed to Whole Foods to do some shopping so we could make several different plant-strong muffin recipes and homemade whole-grain, lowfat veggie pizzas Saturday evening. I stumbled upon Amande, a non-dairy yogurt made from almond milk and sweetened only with fruit. I couldn't resist but pick up a couple of the different flavors to try over the weekend. (Pictured below is the blueberry flavor) ((As a side note, it was AMAZING, and even was nostalgic of  Blueberry Yoplait yogurt in a way.))



After our Whole Foods adventure, we met up with Jordan again to have a late-evening dinner at Tong's Thai where we each enjoyed the different sushi creations they had to offer at their sushi bar. I had a veggie roll, seaweed salad and a small bowl of miso soup, which was light, but quite satisfying.  My aunt and I didn't stay long since we needed to get back to house to be well-rested for our 5K run early the next morning, which I'll talk about in the next part of this blog post.

-Michelle :)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was such a thing as non-dairy yogurt! I'll have to look into that!!

    beckyperry.us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, yes! The selection now is almost endless but I favor Amande's almondmilk yogurt because it's naturally sweetened with fruit. There's also coconut, soy, and rice based non-dairy yogurts, but it's very hard to come across that aren't filled with added sugars!

      Whole Foods has the largest selection, but I have even found Whole Soy brand non-dairy yogurt at my local Kroger and HEB. :)

      Delete